Irelanded

9.10.2005

World Record: Successful

So, I'm wandering around downtown today, buying more stuff to cook with and generally wasting time instead of cleaning and it comes about the time to head on down to the South Mall to see this world record attempt at largest ceili ever. Anyway, people are lining up and the whatnot, and they start practising. Every practise gets more and more impressive, as more and more people show up and the entire 9 or so blocks fill up with two rows of dancers (this is about 6 Canadian blocks, at my best guess). Anyway, they mention something about registrations still being open and I think "this is something that I probably won't do and then regret later". Well not today, self! The decision is made: if I can get home and back in the 15 minutes before it starts, then I'm going to do it. Luckily, this whole thing is taking place about 6 blocks from home, so the trip is simple and now I'm standing in a massive crowd of people (the "blue" section) getting ready to dance for 7 minutes. Keep in mind, I've only ever done this once before, about two and a half years ago...

Anyway, the whole deal takes a while to get going, partly because we have to wait for the Lord of the Dance himself: Michael Flatley. Yes, the man, the myth, the legend.

The whole thing finally gets underway, even though we had to dance for something like 7 or 8 minutes to break the record, which is more consecutive dancing than I think has ever happened in my life to this point. Luckily, no animals were hurt or killed in the making of this record, even though there were only something like 8,701 people participating. This was still, though, enough people to set a new world record.

I promise I won't let fame get the best of me.

Edit: pictures, finally.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home