Better late than never
Okay, so if anyone remembers a few years back, there was a certain opportunity to see Buck65 live that I almost managed to make it to, except for a specific complication that made me miss it. Then the regretting not seeing it as everyone ranted and raved about it for months was somewhat harsh. Anyways, I found out last week that Buck65 was going to be playing Cork of all places, only about 5 minutes walk from home. So, I hustled on down last night and have to say it makes the 3-year wait worth it!
The whole show was down at Cypress Avenue, which is a tiny little place above the Old Oak, which is a much larger place. I showed up fashionably late (the only kind) and found it packed wall to wall with people, apparently including many other Canadians who loved Nova Scotia (or so the cheering led me to believe). I'd have to say 100 people, tops. So I'd have to class the show as sort of a one-man east-coast hip-hop act: one guy, turntable & CD deck, mad fat rhymes, and some crazy antics. Seriously.
See, between every song he sort of just talked to the crowd (and he literally did at some points). And most of it was really disjointed and hilarious. At times I found myself thinking, "man, this guy must be a huge Mitch Hedberg fan". Of course, not 30 seconds later he turns to the crowd and goes "I'm a real big fan of this comedian... Mitch Hedberg." It was great. Although for the life of me I forgot to yell out "whoo0-hoo!", as did most other people.
Anyway, after the show he just sort of sat around and talked with people, maybe because there was no backstage. So I got him to sign the poster that I semi-secretly obtained from the wall. Again: definitely makes the wait worthwhile.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home